Sunday 27 January 2013

Jekyll and Hyde

My local am-dram group are performing this in April so I thought I'd do a quick blog on the show, and mention a few of my fav songs! First performed on Broadway in 1997, Jekyll and Hyde tells the well known story of Henry Jekyll, a doctor who is intrinsically a good person. After carrying out some home made experiments on himself, an alter-ego, Edward Hyde is formed, who roams the Victorian streets in search of blood. The show originally ran on Broadway for 4 years, but was never able to become commercially successful, as it still ended up losing money. It never opened on the West End in London, although there have been a couple of touring versions. I went to watch the most recent touring version of Jekyll and Hyde a few years ago in the Liverpool Empire, which starred Marti Pellow, of "Wet Wet Wet" fame.. In my review I said that I wasn't really a fan of the show - there are far too many songs which don't drive the story forward in the way they're suposed to. I also said that the chorus numbers were excellent, so it's nice to go and revisit that now with my am-dram group and be able to sing some of these songs, and try and do them justice. Such as the one below, which is my favorite chorus number... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twRIdbAZlw0 My absolute favorite song of the show is a duet between the two female leads, Lucy and Emma. I could seriously listen to "In his eyes" all day long, and have linked the song below for you to listen to! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK4WsjmrJZU Our version of the show should be ok - I haven't heard the leads sing it yet, and having not watched any of The Bromley Players other shows before, I can't comment on the quality, but I can say that the sound of the chorus in the few rehearsals we've had so far is fantastic, and I can't wait to perform again!! So until next time.. Adios, David x

No comments:

Post a Comment